Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Full-time; Exempt
The Hub Project has an immediate opening for a Managing Director of Communications to lead overall communications efforts for a multi-faceted organization running several prominent national and state communications-focused campaigns. The Managing Director of Communications is an executive level position within the organization, with several director-level reports, charged with organizing the development and implementation of a comprehensive communications, messaging, and media strategy. Additionally, the Managing Director of Communications will play a key role in the overall direction of the organization and our efforts to partner with allies to develop innovative partnerships to promote an economy that works for all Americans and a democracy with full participation.
As the Managing Director of Communications, you’ll…
- Spearhead and motivate a 12+ person team of communications professionals to lead state and national communications work on key democracy issues
- Be a leader on a dynamic management team that fosters creative and innovative advocacy work·
- Strategically align press relations with national press, particularly journalists who cover politics, the economy, and democracy issues; exercise good judgment to prioritize communications priorities and opportunities
- Manage intellectual resources and a polling/messaging research budget of over $1 million, focusing on a broad range of progressive issues
- Collaborate with colleagues on the campaign, digital, and research teams to advance various campaigns
- Identify and manage a wide range of outside consultants including communications, polling, research, and other firms and individuals
- Design and manage original media content including podcasts, web sites, digital video, and other newly curated material
- Build content, advocacy, education, and communications partnerships with a variety of groups working towards aligned goals
- Work closely with the executive director on other organizational priorities as assigned
- You have extensive leadership experience driving internal success and managing a variety of outside consultants.
- You have extensive experience with political/advocacy campaigns, in government, and/or in a consultancy environment.
- You have an extensive understanding of the media landscape and a range of experience interacting with different journalism outlets and media formats.
- You have experience in media relations that will be critical in your management of staff who will drive those engagements.
- You have a deep understanding of polling and messaging research and how it informs communications and advocacy work.
- You are a great teammate and collaborator with your colleagues – you are adept at managing relationships up, down, and around. You have experience building coalitions, working, and leading efforts with outside groups.
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit and an ability to solve problems creatively and effectively. You are comfortable with managing risk.
- You are organized and have a knack for assessing and continually reassessing priorities. You have an energetic ability to multitask and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced and changeable environment.
- You are passionate about lifting up diverse voices and connecting with diverse audiences through communications and advocacy campaigns.
- You are committed to a just, inclusive, and robust economy and ensuring broad participation in our democracy to deliver opportunity and dignity to all Americans.
How to apply
To begin the application process, click here. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from The Hub. Thank you for your interest.
New Venture Fund Careers
The Hub is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.