Reports to: Associate Director, Communications
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Full-time; Exempt
Launched in 2016, The Hub is a nonprofit effort made up of a growing team of communications, research, and organizing experts who have extensive experience in campaign strategy, digital, and polling and analytics. We believe in a country where everyone has the opportunity to succeed in our economy and participate in our democracy, and we make that vision a reality by partnering with advocacy groups – bringing surge capacity and coordination to build innovative and effective campaigns.
The Communications Associate will support a team of communications pros in a busy press and communications shop. This person will draft press materials, help with event execution, track news, complete supporting research projects, and support the organization’s overall work. This person will also help drive the organization’s calendar by working closely with all members of the team to ensure communications across the organization.
As a Communications Associate, you’ll…
• Write and edit materials for reporters, partners, and social media, including media advisories, press releases, and opinion pieces
• Conduct basic research on the media and political landscape to advance The Hub’s day-to-day campaigns
• Track press coverage on developing stories and campaigns at The Hub Project, including print, digital, social, and broadcast
• Build and maintain targeted media lists and help pitch stories and events for The Hub’s campaigns
• Help organize events such as press conferences and rallies that advance the narrative of The Hub’s campaigns
• Maintain strong and helpful relationships with partner organizations to continue making The Hub Project a resource to progressive partners
• Work with other members of the communications team to advance the goals of The Hub’s campaigns
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• You are detail-oriented, offer precise writing acumen, and can create press materials quickly under tight deadlines
• You have a deep interest in working in press/news, and a sense of what drives news coverage
• You have a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion values in all facets of your work
• You have an interest in progressive politics and working to ensure a better future for all Americans
• You have a sense of humor, adventurous spirit, and an openness to evolving responsibilities.
In addition, it would be a bonus if…
• You have a familiarity and comfort with communications databases, such as Cision, Meltwater, and TVEyes
• You have prior experience working on a campaign or advocacy organizations
• You have experience interacting with reporters and directly pitching press
• You are familiar with how to communicate about democracy, economic policy and/or health care.
How to Apply
To begin the application process, click here. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from The Hub. Thank you for your interest.
New Venture Fund Careers
The Hub is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.